CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

PUPPPS aka pregnancy rash

So I broke out in a rash that is pregnancy related. I thought no big deal. I have had eczema before, I can handle this. Boy oh boy I was wrong. First of all I should have known better to not scratch it. But I did and it felt so good and it spread. It started out in my new stretch marks. And yes my belly is bigger than last time and I have gotten new stretch marks. I was using lavender oil but then it got really bad and it kept me up at night and I had to google it.

I am pretty sure my liver is being overloaded with the pregnancy and it is trying to detox through my skin. So I have been taking dandelion root to help support my liver and flax seed oil for the omega-3s. I have fish oil pills but sometimes they give me fishy burps so I stopped taking those a long time ago i.e first trimester. I have also been rubbing vinegar on the rash and it burns so bad but after it evaporates it brings me a lot of relief from the itch. I also went to the Boise coop yesterday and bought some Grandpa's pine tar soap which was highly recommended by many other pregnant women.

The weird thing about this rash is there is no one catch all solution. Different things work for different women. Even prescription medication doesn't work for all women. Most pregnant women get the rash at the end of the pregnancy but some also get it after they have the baby. My hope is I can get my rash to heal and manage the itch and hopefully it will clear up after I have the baby.

I know I have to do a liver detox. I can tell by the way my foot looks from foot zoning. I did a liver detox before I conceived Olivia and Hazel. Unfortunately I can't do a detox until I am done nursing. Anyway that is my complaint for the week and by far the rash has been the worst thing I have experienced while pregnant. Even worse than morning sickness.

7 comments:

Courtney said...

I have a friend who gets this really bad with all of her pregnancies. She gets it pretty early too. She has to soak her feet in ice water and it was even recommended for her to go tanning a couple times to get some relief(weird, but it worked for her). I hope it gets better for you.

Julie said...

I was thinking PUPPS when you first posted about your rash. The good news is that it goes away most of the time after you've had the baby. I cannot imagine the discomfort, but if it's worse that your morning sickness (which I'll rate as bad) this must be miserable!! So sorry!! Only a few more weeks! *Hugs*

Melissa said...

I had it for two months of my pregnancy with Teagan, absolutely the MOST MISERABLE thing I've ever been through. I would wake up in the middle of the night and start freaking out because of the itching and take a cold shower. I tried so many different things to make it go away but nothing worked until I went to the doctor. I started taking some steroids (can't remember what they were called, maybe prednisone) and after we increased the dosage enough it finally went away.

I had no idea that it had to do with the liver, interesting. And I read that it almost exclusively happens when you're having your first boy, strange that you're having a girl. I can't remember exactly but it seems like it had something to do with the fact that I'm a girl and the baby was a boy. It's been almost 4 years so I can't remember anymore.

Good luck, I hope it goes away soon!

The Obergs said...

have you talked to you doctor about this?? My friend just had a baby the first part of April. The last week of her pregnancy she started getting extremely itchy and when she called the doctor they told her to come in right away because the baby was in danger. They ended up inducing her to get the baby out because her liver was failing and the baby's life was in jeopardy.
She had ICP- Intrahepatic Cholestasis of pregnancy.

I don't want to scare you, maybe you have something totally different, but I would feel awful if I didn't say anything and it ended up being more serious. but I know she waited 9 days before she called about it and they were really upset that she hadn't contacted them sooner...

Alabama Apples said...

Uggh! How awful!! I had a friend who got that rash. It sounds nasty!!

Jenny said...

I've never even heard of this. Sounds awful! The price we pay for babies.

KIRSTEN said...

Hang in there ... you are almost done!