CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Three Year Anniversary

It was our 3 year anniversary yesterday. I can't believe it has been 3 years. Sometimes it seems just like the other day we just got married but on the other hand it seems like we have known each other always. We didn't do much yesterday except get some aggie ice cream because we had a hypnobirthing class but on Monday we went out to dinner at the Coppermill which was great because they have fantastic raspberry jam and excellent air conditioning. Over the weekend I made one of Mike's favorite cakes which consists of a layer of chocolate cake, then a layer of chocolate pudding with cream cheese and a layer of cool whip topped with crushed skor bar. It was fantastic after it chilled over night. Unfortunately after eating a few pieces a day I really packed on the pounds. Mike and I usually go on vacation for our anniversary but since I have been pregnant we didn't plan anything which is okay because we get to go to the fair this weekend which I haven't been to in 3 years.

How did Mike and I meet?

The first time I met Mike was back in 1987 in Mrs. Stewart's first grade class and he sat right in front of me. He was pretty hyper back then too. We were in the same 4th and 5th grade class, we had the same home room in 7th and 8th grade which meant our lockers were right next to each other. Our lockers were next to each other in the 9th grade and that is really the last time I remember seeing Mike. I took the nerdy route which meant AP and concurrent enrollment classes and homework and I assume that Mike took the jock/popular crowd route. I went to college right after graduation and Mike did the partying thing.

I did see Mike a few times during college i.e. the TSC patio, the aggie shuttle and the white owl. I moved away to Cali and SLC and moved back and the next time I saw him was at the Sports Academy. I was running on the treadmill and he came over to say hi. He gave me elevator eyes and that made me feel so uncomfortable and then he proceeded to hit on me. I was dating someone else at the time so I didn't call him but about 1.5 years later when I was available I got the courage to do call and we hung out.

This was during the summer of 2004. Mike was back in school, I just withdrew from school after my first year of working on my Master's degree and was planning on attending massage therapy school in April. We weren't looking for anything serious but that changed spring 2005. In April we had the conversation that changed our lives. I just wanted Mike to tell me I was his girlfriend but he ended up asking me to marrying him at the end of the summer which was exciting and terrifying at the same time. I wasn't planning on getting married until the following year.

We got married August 6, 2005 outside in his parents backyard. It was beautiful. Anyone who has been married for atleast a year will understand when I say that getting married is so exciting and the first couple of months are so much fun then the excitement wears off and reality sets in. Not that it is terrible but trying to build a new life with another opinionated adult can be difficult especially when one is a control freak (me) and the other one is such a free spirit (Mike). We have had our ups and downs just like everyone else but looking back all those trials have made us stronger and better and if we haven't learned our lesson yet we are bound to make the same mistakes again until we learn. Mike and I have changed/grown so much over the past years I can't imagine what we will be like when we are in our 50s.

In both of our patriarchal blessings it says that we were guided to each other by divine intervention. I am so thankful that someone was looking over both of us and helping us stay on track so we had the opportunity to reacquaint and get married. I love Mike and he is such an amazing friend. I know we are perfect for each other because we bring out the best in each other.

13 comments:

Julie said...

Congrats on 3 years!!

Hayley said...

I always wondered how you two fell in love. That was fun to read!
Happy Anniversary!

Laki Girl said...

Man, so that is why we did to begin with (get married that is :))...nah, jk...it's refreshing though, to hear how it all begins again from someone else, and then remember for yourself. Happy Anniversary Mike and Sandy! Here's to many more years! (and to baby Olivia, what better anniversary gift).

Charee B Mcclellan said...

ohhhh i love love stories! glad to have read that, thanks for sharing! Hope your anniversary was great!

Julie said...

I love it! I love you guys! I am glad you found each other. And Congrats on 3 years!

Katharine Graves said...

A lovely story, and do please understandd how important the hypnobirthing will be to you and to your baby. do lots of practice, and enjoy it.

All best wishes,

Katharine

Katharine Graves is a hypnobirthing teacher in London

Jenny said...

I can't believe you two have been married for three years! And that you two hooked up in the first place :)! Thanks for giving us some more details on how you finally got together - I love hearing those stories!

Brenda said...

Love this story... Thanks for sharing it with me. Happy Anniversary!

Alabama Apples said...

I love the story, too. LIfe is so full of ups and downs, but if the ups outweigh the downs, things are great! I'm excited for your 3 years. Life just keeps going at a fast pace-next baby Olivia...then who knows! Congrats on your marriage and baby girl! I love you!

Haylee Munk Brown said...

Ditto Hayley, I was wondering the story behind you two as well! It is a great story and you guys are so great together!!!! Happy anniversary!!!

Heidi and Matt said...

So fun to read your post and how you two got together! Yep! I agree, marriage can be hard some times but great too! I love getting to know you better!!!!

Sara said...

Sandy, I LOVED reading this post!! So fun to hear how you two met. And I think I need to get that cake recipe from you!!

Brooke said...

Happy Anniversary! I can't wait to see that BABY!!! Let me know if you have any questions!!! I will tell you as much I know!