CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Apathy vs Action

I just started reading GLENN BECK's Common Sense and found a very interesting quote by Martin Luther King, Jr.: "The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict."

Things are changing fast in America and I fear for the worst. Sometimes I feel like I am too small and insignificant to make a change so why do anything. But maybe that is the cause of some of the problems is the apathetic attitude citizens have, myself included. I am trying to educate myself so I can make a more informed decision about certain aspects of my life.

Talking about things is good. Doing something about it is better. It is appealing to take the easy road and get the handouts and live the extravagant lifestyle and accumulate debt. I have fallen victim to materialism and consumerism. Actually I wasn't a victim, I played an active role. It is hard not to fall into the lure when it is socially acceptable and highly encouraged to buy things on credit even if I can't afford or take a handout when I am capable of earning it. I guess I have forgotten where I came from.

My parents immigrated from Cambodia. They survived concentration campus but they lost a baby, siblings, parents, aunts, uncles and cousins. They came to America so they could provide a better life for their children. They came here with nothing. They worked hard and saved even harder. They were able to buy a home and cars with more than a 50% down payment. They always paid all their loans as quickly as possible. They never used credit cards.

Some people want us to believe that we can't live life without a huge amount of debt. I know this isn't true. I lived it with my family when growing up. It was hard. If I had to categorize things into Needs, Necessary and Nice to have. I grew up without nice to haves and some necessary things. It wasn't fun growing up but I look back appreciating the lessons I learned. Growing up in America, my attitude towards consumerism is very different than my parents and I have spend my fair share of money since graduating from college. I'd like to change though.

"There are no shortcuts in achieving and living the American Dream. It takes hard work, relentless dedication to your core principles and values, and, above all patience. Nothing comes easy; nothing happens fast." pg 14. GLENN BECK'S Common Sense

1 comments:

Married Mannings said...

I love this post! And love the Glenn Beck quote. It makes me wanna be better. I need to. Thanks!