CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Hypnobabies Class

Mike and I decided to take a hypnobabies birthing class since I wanted to do natural childbirth. With Olivia we took a hypnobirthing class and honestly it was a waste of time and money. It was taught at the hospital and a L&D Nurse taught the course and gave contradictory information to the book. Plus I didn't feel like it gave enough information or techniques to get through transition.

So I did some research about the Bradley method and came across Hypnobabies and have only read raving reviews. Basically it teaches me how to do self hypnosis and how to deal with the discomfort of labor instead of how to work through the pain.

We took our first class last week and have a class tonite and Mike actually enjoyed it. The instructor limits the number of couples in the class which is nice and the information we are learning is really invaluable. American civilization trains us to think that birth is suppose to be painful and that it is normal to have all this medical intervention. While I do believe there is a time and place for medical intervention, I don't think majority of women fit into this category. So the class does a lot of work on correcting misconceptions about pregnancy and birth.

This isn't a class that we can only do once a week. We both have a lot of homework to do daily but I know that it will pay off. I really like it because Mike has his own materials to work on as my birthing partner. And even though I feel overwhelmed by the daily activities I am suppose to do it really is only 10 minutes here and there but have a huge payoff in the end.

I am super excited to finally meet the baby. I think that this birthing experience will be a really good bonding experience for Mike and I and I look forward to that. I guess I could relate it to training for a race and knowing that I have done all the training I can do and I am pumped to perform.

1 comments:

Married Mannings said...

We did hypnobirthing and even though I wouldnt consider my daughter a hypnobaby, my husband and I learned so many things from the class. (I didn't "breathe my baby down" I pushed her out because I was so "done" LOL)