CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 6, 2008

I never know what to expect...

Baby Olivia is really laid back and hardly ever cries. The first couple of days all she did was sleep and eat but our pediatrician warned us that that newborns change after the first 5-7 days. I have noticed a few differences.

She doesn't fall asleep as easy as she use to but it depends on the day. Some days she is so tired but she fights it and those are the worst days because she doesn't get very much sleep and I don't get very much sleep. Luckily the pattern has been if she has a sleep deprived day, the next day she sleeps most of the day and night.

Sometimes when she is nursing she fights with my boob. She will latch on and then it seems like she gets angry and pushes it away. If she does that a lot I try to burp her but sometimes that doesn't help.

Some times if I haven't had very much sleep and Olivia isn't nursing great or having a difficult time sleeping I get discouraged and wonder "Is this normal?" But I figure all babies are different and everyone's experience is different. Overall Olivia is a really easy baby to watch and I know that Mike and I are blessed.

Good news is Olivia and I are learning to nurse using the cradle hold. Originally I learned how to nurse using the football hold so I could control her head. Yesterday I tried the cradle hold and that was so much easier now that we have some idea of what we are doing. We still have a ways to go but that relieves some of my paranoia about leaving the house and having to nurse outside the home.

4 comments:

Emily said...

keep up the good work! it does get easier or I wouldn't have5! haha

Married Mannings said...

Your blog is so educational for me. Seriously, I'm learning a lot! I never really thought that there was different positions for breast feeding, but I know now :) Also I love that you wanted to do disposable diapers. I want a review once you start using them!

Alabama Apples said...

Yeah for starting to figure her out. Babies do start to change. My babies are easy-peasy for a few weeks then boom-they change into colicky babies for a couple more months. I find every baby is a learning experience. Don't get discourages, things DO get easier. I had a hard time getting out and about with Josiah, but I found I was much happier if I even got ready and went to Walmart. Just a trip out was a mini-break and a feeling of normalcy. You do know you can call me or email me if you have questions...whatever!

Brooke said...

I started with the cradle hold and ended up having to do the football hold. My nipples also killed for just over two weeks and a while after that just the initial latch frightened me. I also loved breastfeeding while lying on the bed with her next to me. It was so easy. I bled and cried for the first two weeks! It was miserable. I also wanted to give up--but I started pumping a lot too and I think it helped. It opened the holes in my nipples more--I think anyway! I didn't get my milk for 5 days either so I had to suppliment with formula. I would breast feed and then give her a couple ounces of formula. It made a world of difference. She went from screaming to happy in a day. The breast pump I uses was a handheld and I really liked it...Avent Isis handheld. Its only $54 at motherhood maternity.