CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

BOM Jacob Chapter 5

There have been many times in my life I have attempted to read the Book of Mormon and I didn't progress past 1 Nephi. The first time everything clicked for me was in 2004. I read it and I knew in my heart I wanted to be baptized. In a nutshell the gospel was always out there but I wasn't ready to hear and accept it until then.

Since becoming a convert I have attempted to read the BOM and I have done pretty well if my goal was to get through it. There were several occasions that I felt a certain passage was meant for me to read at that exact moment but I didn't always have this feeling.

I am experiencing right now the feeling of the scriptures and I are really in sync. I am pretty sure it is a side effect of being pregnant because my mind is totally working on hyperdrive. I can't read any LDS material without all these questions, speculations and ideas populating my head. To read the scriptures has been so overwhelming for me so I have limited myself to just 2 chapters. After each chapter I answer the following questions: What is the lesson to be learned and how is it relevant to modern times? Easy enough.

Then I read Jacob Chapter 5. Just Chapter 5. I couldn't take much more the information was so overwhelming. It is the story about the vineyard and the olive tree. I have heard it mentioned in lessons but I felt in my heart that this one chapter had so much meaning and I needed to learn it. So I asked Mike about the meaning of that chapter but he didn't have an answer.

Thankfully we live in the Information Age and everything is a finger tip away. I found an excellent resource that explains just that one chapter in a lot of detail. Who knew I could learn so much from one chapter? I wanted to share the resource for those who might be a little scripture crazy like me: http://www.josephsmith.com/content/Joseph_Smith_Book_of_Mormon/Jacob5.htm

2 comments:

Alabama Apples said...

Thanks, Sandy. I have always loved this chapter, but I am always on the lookout for more info, more truth to be found.

Jenny said...

Sandy, you are such a good mom and person! I just confessed that I never read my scriptures until this week when I've forced my family to sit down and painfully get through the BOM this year. What great questions to ask after reading.