CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I told my boss. What a relief!

I told my boss today that I was pregnant and he was so awesome about it. He congratulated me and was genuinely happy for me. The Director of our department is actually retiring in December which means my current boss will be the interim Director and more than likely there will be organizational changes which will give me a more permanent and better position even though I am new to the organization. Talk about a lot of pressure.

My plan currently is to keep working and come back to work. Really I can't plan for anything else because there are no other concrete options. The thing that my boss said to me that made me feel so much better is to plan and work as if I was going to work after the baby comes and if I decide to quit let the department worry about that mess and not to take it upon myself to do that. Really I couldn't have asked for a better response. It really does make a difference in satisfaction in my job when my boss actually cares about his employees as people and not just workers.

On a side note, it is kind of funny to see the guys at work filter their comments and responses now that a lady is present in the room. I can't imagine what it would be like to witness an all male workforce.

2 comments:

Julie said...

OMG that is awesome!!! I totally know what you mean to have a boss who cares about the people who work for him. I told my boss I needed out early 2 days next week and I was totally prepared for him to give me crap and for there to be consequences, and he was completely understanding. Weird to be treated like a human being instead of a work horse :)

Sandy said...

Julie - Wow! Sounds like you use to work at a terrible place too. I am glad that you got that new teaching job. I bet you will love it so much more. And it must be nice to be back in Arizona.