CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 18, 2010

Insurance and a Birthing Center

A lot of things have thrown me for a loop lately. At BSU medical benefits don't start until I have been employed for 90 days. At USU they started immediately. So the pregnancy thing was kind of a surprise so I have been calling all sorts of people to figure out COBRA versus short term insurance, dealing with finding out if pregnancy is considered a pre-existing condition, etc. Big headache but I think I have it figured out.

So Mike and I would like to have a VBAC. Me more than Mike but he saw how the recovery from a c-section was a little troublesome especially considering I was stuck in the bed for a few days and had limited mobility in terms of rolling myself up and out of bed when the baby cried at night.

My old OB/GYN in Logan didn't have me schedule an appointment until I was 12 weeks so I figured I would be okay with this baby. I know a lot of people go in before then but I really liked Dr. Strebel's laid back attitude. I have been trying to find a doctor in Boise that will do VBACs but I think I have found a better solution - a birthing center with a midwife.

I found this place the Baby Place that has gotten fantastic reviews. Mike and I are going tomorrow to tour the facility and see if I can even get in. Idaho does allow midwives to perform VBACs but only if I meet certain stipulations like the baby cannot be breech, It has been atleast 18 months since I had my last baby, and the incision is a horizontal scar.

My experience having a c-section wasn't absolutely terrible but it wasn't ideal either. I think at a birthing center they will be more open to letting me labor at my own pace and doing it naturally. I was even considering a water birth.

I have read some birth stories and it totally freaks me out about the pain and all. I labored with Olivia for a really long time before I went to the hospital and I never reached the most painful part so I don't even know if I could handle it. The back labor was hard but Mike and I would like to get a doula to help us again. I think Mike got a little flustered when he saw me in that much pain and it helped to have someone else tell him what to do to relieve the pain. So if anyone knows of a great doula in the Boise area please let me know.

8 comments:

Julie said...

If you don't mind sharing (cause I don't remember) why did you have a c-section?

I am on the fence with a VBAC. While I would love to avoid the pain, I don't think I could handle going through all that pain and finding out baby's head is as big as Ryleigh's was and isn't coming out. That's the ONLY reason I'd consider a repeat c-section.

That's great that you found a birth center. That may actually bode well for you as well, as most birth centers have don't require insurance, and may be cheaper than paying cobra.

Sandy said...

Julie - I got a c-section because Olivia was breech and I was too scared to try to have her vaginally in her breech position.

Good point on the repeat c-section. I know a lot of moms that labored a long time and the baby was too big. If I can I would like to do a VBAC. I don't know if they still limit the number of c-sections a woman can have but I would like to have four kids if we can handle it.

Julie said...

I labored 26 hours with pre-eclampsia on mag sulfate and an epidural that wasn't working (not enough medication in it), 2 hours of being fully dilated with blood pressure 200+/100+ thus I wasn't allowed to push, but my body was still trying, only to find out her head was stuck and I needed a c-section. I'd love to avoid all that and just have the c-section and get it over with.

You have a very good reason to try a VBAC. And if I were you I'd definitely push hard for that route. They don't usually limit the number of c-sections, but if you've had 2 C-sections, you're going to have a hard time finding someone who will let you have a VBAC. On one of my pregnant communities I'm part of the general consensus around the world is that if you don't have a VBAC after your 1's C, you're pretty much locked into having C's for the rest of your kids due to increased risk of uterine rupture.

4 kiddos - you're brave!! We've decided 3 only if my mom retires and can watch the 2nd/3rd one when they're little. We can't afford to have 2 in full time daycare at the same time.

KIRSTEN said...

Because I have been training for a 1/2 marathon and had been crazy sick for awhile, I didn't find out I was pregnant until after I was in my 2nd trimester. Let me tell you ... it is great! Already half way through. Had the 1st app one day, and the ultrasound a few days later. I am going to be in your same boat in a few months ... searching for a new Dr. since we will be moving to San Diego in January, and I won't be due until end of March. I feel for you girl. Hang in there ... aren't all those extra hormones are great ... especially when training to also deal with BIG changes

Sandy said...

Oh Kirsten. I have all these mini countdowns like I'll finally be double digits next week, then 10 more weeks after that I will be half way. The first trimester is by far the worst of it for me.

Honestly it has been really hard to start a new job, be in a new city and deal with all those aspects while being pregnant. I don't know if I really don't like something or if I am being hormonal. And the pregnancy brain has set in a lot early this time around.

Good luck with the move to Cali. The weather is so beautiful in San Diego. And if you ever need to do a pregnancy vent, email me.

Anonymous said...

i live in boise. if you are looking for good Doctors, the woman's clinic downtown and in meridian are great! the doctors deliver at st. luke's, which is a wonderful hospital. dr lowder is terrific! he does appointments if you want at 10 weeks. also I heard that dr. christensen and dr. glen lovelace are also wonderful. they are know for being very attentive. their office is in meridian. hope that helps!
love
rebekah barney (robert barney's wife who is the son of beth durtschi)

Sandy said...

Rebekah - Thanks for the info. I might have more questions for you in the future since you live in Boise.

Anonymous said...

feel free to email... robertandrebekah@cableone.net
I will pass along my phone number when I hear from you or you can get it from Beth!
take care
Rebekah