CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, October 22, 2010

Musings of an Instructional Designer longing to be a SAHM

My job is going really well. The work environment has been worth the move. After I graduated from USU I started working at the FACT center and it was the place to be. Then we got restructured and the role of an Instructional Designer got watered down and then we got restructured again and things changed for the worse. I was trained to be tech support for the LMS and have tech saavy skills in multiple learning technologies. Which was great for my position at FACT. The plus was I had excellent customer service skills.

Now I am at BSU and really this job is a job that most IDs would dream of. I don't have to deal with the LMS. My work is strictly instructional design. Wow. It has been a long time since my main focus at work was instructional design. It is nice to be pushed and stretched beyond my comfort zone. So this job is really expanding my work skills.

The conflicting feelings come from spending all this time and energy into building my career when in reality I want to be Stay-At-Home mom. I know it is a weak complaint but really I think about home atleast 5 times while I am at work. In a nutshell my brain is at work but my heart is at home. But I guess sometimes people have to sacrifice and do what they have to and not what they want. For me that is working to support my family until Mike can find a job.

1 comments:

Jenny said...

I struggle with the whole work thing too, every single day. It sucks. But I got tired of being miserable and told myself I needed a better attitude and that if I'm going to work to be happy and make the best of it. Sounds dumb but it's helped a ton. It seems like as a mom you just can't win. Everything you do or don't do you feel guilty over. Urgh. Sometimes I wish we didn't get any choices or that I could be a pioneer where my choice was made for me... get up and be a wife/mom and nothing else.