CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, October 24, 2009

French Toast recipe

As a working mom I am looking for fast, easy but tasty recipes. I have been scouring the internet for healthy breakfast ideas. I found a great french toast recipe and I love it because I make a huge batch and freeze them and warm them up in the toaster for Mike and Olivia. Ta dah! Homemade breakfast that taste great but it super easy.

French toast recipe (yields 6)
Original recipe was for 12 but I cut it back and modified it. I found the recipe on allrecipes.com

2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon teaspoons brown sugar (optional to me) I have made with and without.
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
6 slices white bread
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs. Add the milk, brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon; stir well to combine. In the original recipe, sprinkle the cinnamon after it is cooked but I just add it all.
2. Dip bread and my personal note is to remember to stir the mixture between each slice because the brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon will sink to the bottom.
3. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Brown slices on both sides.

Changes or suggestions: Substitute the milk for heavy cream and even though it ups the calories, it is so worth it. Some people left out the nutmeg and added a 1 tsp of vanilla.

If serving hot, sprinkle with cinnamon and/or powdered sugar.

If freezing I let them cool on a rake, cut some of the them in half (for Olivia) and freeze on a cookie sheet. After an hour or so in the freezer I will put them in the original bread bag and then double bag it in a freezer bag. Even though I use them within the week, I worry about freezer burn which is so unappealing.

I did find a decadent french toast recipe that makes a sandwich with cream cheese in the middle. When I try it and if it is delicious, I'll be sure to post about it.

1 comments:

Courtney said...

This recipe for French Toast looks so yummy. I am going to try it out today! Thanks!