CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Ham and Potato Soup

It is the perfect time to eat soup. I found a great ham and potato soup that is super easy.

Mike and I don't eat ham that frequently but occasionally we like to have a potato bar, fried rice or ham steak but it can be so expensive. To save money I bought a huge ham, baked it and sliced it up and divided it into freezer ziplock bags to save money. If I buy ham steaks separately it is usually around $3.69/lb but if I buy it in bulk it usually costs $1.69/lb. That is just the frugality coming out.


Ingredients: I didn't measure vegetable amounts. I just winged it.

* peeled and diced potatoes (I prefer to leave the skin on for more fiber)
* chopped celery
* chopped onion
* chopped carrots
* diced cooked ham
* 6 cups water (original recipe called for 3 1/4 cups)
* chicken bouillon granules
* 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
* 1 teaspoon ground white or black pepper, or to taste
* 5 tablespoons butter
* 5 tablespoons flour
* 2 cups milk


Directions

1. Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.
2. In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.

This produces a thin soupy mixture but it is super easy to thicken up with potato gems or instant potatoes. The soup makes a great base. Other variations or substitutions would be Italian sausage, corn or green beans. I am making it the night before because potato soup always taste better when it gets to sit awhile.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy!! Thanks for all the great recipes. I love soup in the fall and winter so, I'll have to try it!! The muffins looked delicious, too!!
Yay for Olivia's hip progress! I hope everything continues to go so well.
I loved her birthday pictures!! She is absolutely adorable!! She looked like she had so much fun!!

Alabama Apples said...

Yum! I'll definitely have to try it!