CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Homemade Syrup

So I started using real maple syrup a few years ago and Mike refuses to eat imitation syrup. And if you have ever bought maple syrup you know how expensive it is. Plus there are a lot of chemicals and ingredients in imitation maple syrup. I found a compromise between cost, taste and healthy. Even though sugar isn't healthy atleast I know what is going in my syrup.

I found a recipe on allrecipes.com and I modified it a bit:

Simple maple syrup yields 2 cups
1 cup of brown sugar
1 cup of white sugar
1 cup of boiling water
1/2 imitation maple flavoring (original recipe) I didn't use it
1 teaspoon of real vanilla (my addition)
2-3 Tablespoons of real maple syrup (my addition)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (my addition)
1 Tablespoon of butter for butter flavoring

1. In a saucepan, combine sugar and water. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. I simmered it until it was the consistency I liked. Usually 5-10 minutes.
2. Remove from heat, and stir in flavoring. Serve warm.

The nice thing about this recipe is it is quick and easy and cost effective. Mike and Olivia liked it.

0 comments: