CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 19, 2009

I luv to cook!

So I have been on a cooking streak for the past few weeks. Even though I haven't been able to eat anything I cook I would hate for Mike to suffer while I am on this diet. It has been hard occasionally but ever since I have been on this diet I have been go, go, go.

On Saturday I attended a cooking class at Kitchen Kneads and the topic was "Fall Favorites: Fresh from the Oven." The class was taught by a pastry chef from Salt Lake and this was my first class ever so I didn't know what to expect. All I can say is it was well worth the $17.50 I paid. It was hard not to try anything but the smells were amazing and Olivia and Mike got to enjoy the rewards. I learned how to make cinnamon rolls, bagels, cream scones, cheese danishes and pumpkin bread. I had a tiny crumb of the scone, danish and pumpkin bread. The pumpkin bread was freakin' fantastic and I can't wait to make the recipe. Mike said the cinnamon roll was the best he ever had. Usually I find recipes and modify them so they are healthier but from the class I learned that fat = flavor = taste so very good. So I might tweak the recipes in the future but this time around I am going to put all the heavy cream and butter asked for in the recipes.

The class was very helpful because baking success is so technique driven. The chef gave us a lot of baking tips that were so helpful. The class peaked my interest in the different types of flour i.e. cake flour, whole wheat pastry flour, high gluten flour and how does that relate to hard, soft, red and white wheat. Thanks to a lot of googling and reading I think I have it figured out.

Check out the kitchen kneads site. The website seems very pricey but if you ever go into the store you can find any type of gadget to make cooking, baking, and hosting a party so much easier.

I plan on taking a class every month just in case Mike and I move away after he graduates so if anyone is interested, I would love to have a friend attend with me.

4 comments:

Alabama Apples said...

Fun! I used to love to cook, but not so much right now. It just seems to be another chore waiting for me to tackle. How exciting to be able to learn new techniques and have the ability to do it well. It sounds delicious and makes me wish I could be your neighbor so you could lovingly bring me some! ;)

Adam said...

I would love to come. When are the classes??

--Brooke

Sandy said...

If you go to the Kitchen Kneads website, they have a link across the top that says "Cooking Classes" and you can look at it by month. It will tell you the topic, who is teaching and a summary if they have it.

I am planning on taking the Wheat Bread on November 11. The Chocolate Workshop on November 14th looks good. I am not a huge chocolate lover but it would be cool to know how to make chocolates for the holidays.

Brooke said...

I can probably come on the 14th. Do you have to sign up?? or just pay when you get there??