CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Baking success. Yet to be Determined

So it was quite an ordeal to finally get one loaf of wheat bread. So I bought wheat in 50 lb buckets and not knowing so much about food storage, I didn't realize that I needed a bucket opener so that put a damper on things on Sunday. After visiting two stores I finally found a bucket opener and I pulled out my wheat grinder and I had to grind atleast 2 cups of wheat to discard.

I did half white wheat and red wheat and my grinder was wickedly fast and fairly quiet. I tried the recipe from the Everyday Food Storage blog. I don't have a mixer so my arms were pretty tired afterwards. Lessons learned are I probably didn't let my bread rise long enough. I did 45 minutes when I should have done atleast an hour. I didn't let it rise a second time but I think next time I will let it rise for 30 minutes. I did use dough enhancers i.e. wheat gluten, vinegar, potato flakes. For my first loaf it wasn't too bad. The bread wasn't crumbly due to the dough enhancers and I was able to cut really thin pieces and it held together really well. Another tip I learned from Everyday Food Storage is putting together the dry ingredients for 2-3 batches of bread while my first loaf is rising and I storing them in the fridge for easy assembling for the rest of the month.

I also made goulash and I doubled the recipe and froze half of it last night. Hopefully it will turn out just as yummy.

2 comments:

Sara said...

I have a killer wheat bread recipe if you'd like to have it. I make 100% wheat bread and its super soft and sooo yummy (and incredibly easy). I don't let my dough raise until I have it in the loaf pans AND there's no kneading needed! Let me know if you want the recipe. I can't believe you made the bread without a mixer! You should ask Santa for a Bosch!! I love mine!

Sandy said...

Hey Sara. I would love to try your recipe. Could you email me at sandydurtschi@yahoo.com.