CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 22, 2010

Building Food Storage

I blogged about this before but for emergency food storage we did dailybread.com. And I was meaning to post for Brenda the cost but now that I am finally to that point I have misplaced my flyer. Mike and I bought the 3 month plan that has 2 meals a day for a family of five and I think that cost us 1499.99. I think that comes out to 1.67 per meal per person. The food would be for 2 adult and 3 kids so for our family it would be 5 months since we only have Olivia. I also bought an extra package of food because they had a great deal which added another month.

For my friend Julie, check out this website: Provident Living It talks about food storage and it is an LDS site but it has a lot of great information.

"Our Heavenly Father created this beautiful earth, with all its abundance, for our benefit and use. His purpose is to provide for our needs as we walk in faith and obedience. He has lovingly commanded us to “prepare every needful thing” (see D&C 109:8) so that, should adversity come, we can care for ourselves and our neighbors and support bishops as they care for others.

"We encourage members world-wide to prepare for adversity in life by having a basic supply of food and water and some money in savings.

"We ask that you be wise as you store food and water and build your savings. Do not go to extremes; it is not prudent, for example, to go into debt to establish your food storage all at once. With careful planning, you can, over time, establish a home storage supply and a financial reserve."
—The First Presidency, All Is Safely Gathered In: Family Home Storage, Feb. 2007, 1

So I have this emergency food storage done and I am trying to build my short term food storage. It is coming slowly but surely and I am only trying to buy things that I am going to use. I went out and bought from Macey's 45 lbs of hard white wheat and 45 lbs of hard red wheat, SAF yeast, honey powder, 201b of sugar, 4 lb of brown sugar. I have found this great blog that I have started following to help me build and cook from our food storage. Here is the site: Everyday Food Storage

I am going to grind some wheat flour this weekend and attempt to make some bread. A little sad I don't have a mixer but that will come eventually. I am putting together a price book that has information on groceries, the regular price, sale price, and a price to die for. Then it will be easy for me to figure out if it is a good deal to stock up. I have wanted to do this for awhile but I have procrastinated but I am hoping this post will light the fire that I need to get this done.

I also ordered this book last fall and it was a pretty good read just in case anyone was interested. Miserly Moms: Living on One Income in a Two-Income Economy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of hardship when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in large starting capital.
Now, I feel good, I begin to get real money.
It gets down to choose a correct partner who utilizes your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, parts and divides the income with me.

You may get interested, if there are such firms? I have to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Brenda said...

Thanks for posting the price! I've been checking often to see if you have posted it :) Good for you for having food storage! When making whole wheat bread, you may want to add gluten to the batch of bread... you can get it at any health food section of the store. It really helps hold the bread together so it isn't crumbly.